Friday, May 16, 2008

Miss Jackson is Spoiled Already

Last Saturday was Miss Jackson's first baby shower, and it was absolutely perfect.  We tried to keep it small -- just family (my grandmother, my mother, my mother-in-law, five aunts, four cousins, and two of my cousins' precious babies) -- and it turned out that it was a good thing because Miss Jackson got so many presents that even one more might not have fit into the car for the drive back to D.C.  Lovely company, lovely food, lovely gifts, and lots of fun.  It was a great celebration, particularly over Mother's Day weekend!  You can see from the pictures:





It really made MJ's arrival seem more imminent, and the shower fun keeps going.  When Mama, Mrs. Sommer, and I got home from the shower, we re-opened all of the gifts so that we could show Jake, Mr. Sommer, and my dad all the pretty things she got.  This morning my task is to finish putting them all away as best I can before some of my very best friends get in town for a girls' weekend, and I can't wait to look at all of the presents one more time.  Our guest room is steadily becoming more and more of a nursery, even though we don't have her crib yet. The one new piece of furniture that we do have already is her dresser/changing table, which is a good thing because we need a place to put all of her stuff.  It is a little bit sick how excited I get to fold all of her little outfits and put everything away.  Sometimes I go open up the dresser drawers just to look at her stuff -- not that I'm that excited about the actual stuff, per se, it's just a vivid reminder that soon a little person will be here to actually wear and use all of it (as if the tummy gymnastics and swollen ankles were not reminder enough).

You might wonder what Jacob and his father did to entertain themselves while Mama, Mrs. Sommer and I were at the shower.  They ate hot dogs and then Jacob bought himself a Wii. Yep. I was pretty happy for him because he has been looking for one for over a year, but it was still a little bit funny -- when he told me what he bought (and he was ecstatic!), I just said, "Well, then, happy mother's day to you!"

No comments: