Thursday, June 12, 2008

Miss Jackson Gets Attention From Strangers

Today while I was getting a pedicure, my pedicurist asked me (1) whether the baby is a boy or a girl, (2) whether she is our first, and (3) how much weight I've gained.  The first two questions are fairly expected.  I have to say the third one surprised me.  I told her, though -- about 30 pounds, okay, I am nothing if not forthcoming -- and she grinned and nodded enthusiastically and said, "Good, good, good," like that was exactly the right answer.   I guess if you are going to ask someone how much weight they have gained, it's nice to act like they have gained exactly the right amount.  She gave me maybe the best pedicure I have ever had so I would have been willing to discuss all manner of intimate details had she pressed on, but she didn't. 

It wasn't the first sweet but awkward conversation I've had with a stranger lately.  When I was in New York last weekend, I had an interesting conversation with a lady selling art on the street in Soho.  I was buying a Chinese zodiac painting of a mouse for M.J.'s nursery because she is going to be born in the year of the rat -- it's really cute -- and the Chinese woman selling it was really excited that I knew what it symbolized.  We had a little bit of a language barrier, but I am pretty sure she was predicting that M.J. is going to be a lucky and wonderful genius.  She pointed at my stomach and said that year of the rat babies were "VERY smart, very, VERY smart."  She then said, "Girl, right?" (I totally look like I'm carrying a girl -- very high and wide).  I said yes and she clapped and beamed and said again, "VERY smart."  Then she said, "First baby, right?"  I said yes again and she looked extra delighted.  She said, "First girl best.  Then boy, okay, but girl first, yes, yes!"  Um, okay?  I just smiled and nodded.  At least she didn't inquire about or announce how much weight I've gained. 

I keep putting off posting on the blog because I have lots of pictures to post (girls weekend, M.J. at 30 weeks, the nursery!) but we have a new camera, much fancier than what I am used to, and I am a little scared of it.  I'll wait and let Jacob handle that when he gets back in town (he's in L.A. on business, where he is tooling around in a convertible, dining at places I read about in US Weekly, and generally making me a little bit jealous).  Sadly, I forgot to take any pictures during Miss Jackson's last pre-birth trip to NYC, but I promise we had fun.  She got to see her Aunt Caroline, who both witnessed and felt her move, and we also got the chance to visit with my brother-in-law (who just moved to Connecticut), another pregnant friend (who looked incredible despite being about five seconds away from delivering), and one of my cousins (who lives in the most incredible West Village apartment and regaled us with tales of some incredible recent celebrity sightings.  Ryan Gosling!  Twice!).  It was a wonderful trip and I kind of can't believe that the next time I go visit Caroline, M.J. will be with me, as we say, on the outside.

No comments: