Monday, August 23, 2010

TWO!

Maisie Munkin is two!

Her birthday was Tuesday and her two-year-check-up was Wednesday. She weighs 29 1/2 pounds and is 37 3/4 inches tall -- a.k.a., basketball player tall. If she stays this exact height until she turns three, she will still be between the 50th-75th% for height.

She speaks fluent English now -- sentences, paragraphs, pretend conversations, etc. Still a talker (although she is quiet at first when she is in new places or with new people, or in a big group -- not shy, just quiet. She will walk right up and stare at you, but she might not talk right away.)

She can say her ABCs and can consistently recognize and identify the letters A, B, I, M, O, W, and Z. She knows her colors and her shapes. Right now she's obsessed with octagons. She will sometimes count to ten but usually counts "1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10" instead. We went to lunch today at Sanphan and she pointed at the sign and said, "A for Apple! A for Apple! Two A's." She likes to sing "Twinkle Twinkle," "Row Your Boat," the alphabet, and the Sesame Street theme song. And the chorus of "Poker Face."

One of her favorite phrases right now is, "Oh my goodness sake!" I say "oh my goodness" a lot and I think Jake says "for goodness sake" and she has picked that up. Yesterday we were watching Sesame Street and when Barkley the giant orange dog came onscreen she said, gesticulating dramatically, "Oh my goodness sake, that is one big dog!" Last week it rained all day one day and every time we went outside she said, "Oh my goodness sake, it is STILL raining!"

Much to Jake's chagrin, her pop music tastes have now widened to include the Katy Perry song "California Girls." Jake was on a business trip to L.A. last week and when I told her Daddy was in California, she said, "Oh, like Katy Perry!"

She likes to pretend a lot. She will pretend to be a baby, a cat, my cousin Ben, and one of her babysitters. The Ben pretending is the funniest because she will say, "I Ben. You say, 'Hey, Ben,' and you wave at Ben." She also talks to her Aunt Coco and Eh-ca on the pretend phone on a regular basis. Yesterday she was having a long conversation with someone on her plastic pink phone and when I said, "Who are you talking to?" she leaned over, whispered "I talking to Aunt Coco," and then returned to her call. Also, this morning she walked into the kitchen carrying two of her pocketbooks and a tote bag and rolling a small Hello Kitty suitcase. She waved at me and said, "I going to the airport now."

She doesn't do it every time it's warranted, of course, but she is mostly quite good at saying, "please," "thank you," "excuse me," and "bless you." She almost never misses a "bless you" when someone sneezes, even if it is a stranger in a store.

She likes to sing, dance, dress up, slide, ride her tricycle, take off her Barbie's clothing, read, and draw. She really likes to draw and also likes to watch other people draw, with the caveat that she is the one who will instruct you on what to draw. Favorite requests include dogs, cats, smiley faces, and potties. If you draw something to her liking, she will likely follow up that request with, "Okay, now draw a little tiny one!"

She can throw a toddler fit with the best of them if she gets too hungry or tired, but mostly she is still easy, sweet, and totally hilarious. While I do miss little baby infant Maisie, toddler Maisie is even more fun.

1 comment:

A said...

I am late in reading this, but still cracking up. Maisie is hilarious, and I love your blog posts about her!
Ali