Friday, August 1, 2008

Miss Jackson is NOT Here Yet

But oh, how I wish that she were!

I will try to keep posting so you can tell that I'm not in labor, but at this point, there is not that much exciting to report.  Right this second I feel calm and relaxed and patient.  In the last couple of days, though, I have had one hormonal crying jag and at least three instances of wondering whether castor oil actually works, so I'm not zen all the time.  I am filling my time by laundering everything in the house (including our shower curtain... which, maybe you wash your shower curtain all the time, but I really don't), folding baby clothes, writing, reading (currently:  The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, which is going to be magnificent if the first 100 pages are any indication), and going to the movies (weekend before last:  The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia; last weekend: Step Brothers; tomorrow: Mamma Mia again with still-pregnant Nora, who is due on Monday!; still on the horizon: Hellboy 2, Wall-E, Brideshead Revisited, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2).  

At this week's appointment (on Wednesday), my doctor said we could discuss induction at my 40th or 41st week appointment if nothing had happened yet.  I told him I do not intend to have a 41st week appointment.  He laughed.  I did not; I was quite serious.  He also told me that maybe he'd see me tomorrow (as in, yesterday) in labor and delivery because he was on call that night.  So, basically, none of us have any idea when M.J. is getting here.  

Jake is being very very sweet as usual.  He brings me lemonade and fountain drinks on a regular basis, and yesterday he even bought me a bag I have been coveting/lusting after (which will be here courtesy of Endless.com's miraculous free overnight shipping any minute now, a thought that makes me almost delirious with joy).  I'll say again, I am most excited about seeing her and her tiny little baby toes with my very own eyes, followed closely by watching Jake interact with her.  (Jake is most excited about seeing her and then seeing Fiona's reaction to her... not kidding.  He says he knows how I'm going to react to her, but Fiona will be a surprise.  Good point.)

We just really want to meet her (and tell everyone her name!). 

5 comments:

Julie said...

I tried several things on the day my water broke with Charlie, some I will never tell and some I will. One was castor oil. If nothing else, its nice to get cleaned out before the big push :)

Hannah said...

vaI highly recommend a pregnancy massage, if you haven't had one already. Even if you have had one already- I didn't get mine until Nathan's due date.

My massage therapist friend claimed it would help make labor easier, too, and I think maybe it did, but regardless, it was nice.

And Miss Jackson will be here before you know it- I remember how agonizing the wait is, but try to enjoy your alone time while you still have it.

Molly said...

Emily,

I linked into your blog through someone else's. I'm not sure if you remember me or not but we were in the same law school class. I just thought I would put in my cents about going into labor. . . I have two children (a girl and a boy). My daughter was born 3 years ago by unplanned c-section after I was induced at 40 weeks. The month before she was born, I was told that I was 3 cent dialated. I stayed that way until she was born and I went all the way to my due date. My son was born last September. I was scheduled for a c-section. The day he was born I went to the doctor and he told me that I wasn't dialated or thinned. He said that I would definitely make it to my scheduled c-section date. I went into labor, two weeks early, that night and had a 9 pound baby. Go figure. The big moment could come any time now! No matter when it actually comes, you will be surprised. I will keep you and the baby in my prayers.
Molly Hornsby Lee

Emilie said...

Thank you, Molly! I love hearing other people's stories. And you are too right that it will be a surprise no matter when it happens. (And congrats on your babies -- I knew you had a little girl but didn't know about your son! So fun.)

Unknown said...

Emily,
I am a lurker on your blog via Gwen's link, and your law school classmate. Your story sounds just like me when I was waiting for 2L baby, Jackson, to be born. Two days before my due date my blood pressure was up and they talked about inducing me...and then sent me home. I was so tired of being pregnant, on bedrest, and I cussed out my dad when he assured me to just relax and the baby will get here eventually. Emotional outburts are better than castor oil. I went into labor a few hours later.