Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Baby Friends

I just found out that one of my very best friends and very favorite people is expecting this fall, and I am so excited I almost can't handle it.  There might just be a pregnancy epidemic out there, what with how many people I now know who are pregnant, and I could not be more thrilled.  Two of the most fun things about this pregnancy have been going through it with pregnant friends of mine and hearing invaluable advice from my friends and family who already have children.  The women I know who are also expecting range from way old friends to fairly new neighbors, and it's very exciting.

One of the craziest things so far has been that one of my oldest and dearest friends is pregnant with her first, too, and is due six days before we are.  Although, that's not THAT crazy for us, considering that we have lived weirdly parallel lives ever since we were fourteen, and actually got married only a week apart too -- and were each other's maid/matron of honor.  I had to be the "matron" because I got married the week prior.  "Maid" sounds so much better.  Anyway, she's having a boy and I'm having a girl, and it has been so fun to have someone who is exactly the same amount of pregnant to discuss things with -- not to mention the fact that her son will likely be Miss Jackson's first peer and friend.  In fact, she and I are having dinner tonight with another pregnant friend -- another of my oldest friends -- a friend that I met when she and I had just finished the eighth grade and roomed together at summer camp.  The fact that the three of us now live in D.C., that I am still close to both of them, and that we are now having actual CHILDREN, is enough to make me cry.  It's probably mostly the pregnancy hormones, but not entirely.

Anyway, all that is just a tangent to what I really wanted to say, which is a big congratulations to my latest friend who just told me the news. (Incidentally, I think she's having a girl.  I feel like she and Miss Jackson are going to get in a lot of trouble together over the years.)

P.S.  I have a lot of beloved friends who AREN'T pregnant, too, thank goodness.   I talk about babies right now enough as it is.

2 comments:

Nora said...

Thanks for the shout out! Congrats to all the pregnant friends and I can't wait for Baby R (we don't have a funny name for him, we just call him Baby but sometimes we say it like Chris Rock in the one where he's talking about the baby selling crack) and Miss Jackson to be friends.

Nora

Elizabeth said...

Yay! I can't wait to keep up with Miss Jackson! You look wonderful!!